Monday, August 06, 2012

Education and Generation



One of the things that looking through family censuses and other historical documents has shown me is just how each generation has increased in the number of years of schooling they had.   Using myself as the referent point, I’ve taken a look as far back as I have information for on my mother’s side.

Person
Relationship to me
Born
Years of Education
Ed Wilkins
Great grandfather
1867
4
Victor Wilkins
Grandfather
1893
8
Elvera Northen
Mother
1921
3 years HS
Michael Northen
Me
1946
College grad
My children

1970’s
College grad

My grandfather's younger brother, Raymond also had eight years of schooling so that seems pretty reliable for people born on a farm in his generation.  I could also note that my dad (James Northen) graduated from high school, but that is a bit deceptive because of eight children in the family, only he and his sister graduated high school.  Another somewhat misleading stat here is my graduation from college.  Although I was fortunate enough to be able to go to college and graduate, none of my brothers or sisters did.  At the time I graduated in 1964, graduating from high school was a real accomplishment and considered sufficient education.  It was probably about evenly split between those who went on to college of some kind (junior college in my case) and those who didn’t.  By the time my children graduated from high school, though, college had become an expectation.  Whose knows what my grandchildren will face?

Up until 1862 when Lincoln signed the Land Grant College Act, most colleges were private and it was only those who had the wealth and leisure to attend college that could go.  The Land Grant Act was intended to allow those like my great-grandfather Ed Wilkins who lived on farms to be able to better their lot by attending college. Obviously, it took quite a few years for our family to be able to take advantage of those opportunities.  When I began Fullerton Jr. College in California in 1964 it was pretty much of a case of paying for your books and a few student fees.  The great irony to me is that “what goes around comes around” and we are now in a situation where once again only the rich can afford college without having to taking out a loan that mortgages their future to do it.  As I said, who knows what our grandchildren will face. 

Of course, there is a partial solution.  Make the first two years of college free the way high school is. But God forbid that we should have to pay higher taxes so that our grandchildren and everyone else’s can have a better future.

2 comments:

Maya Northen Augelli said...

I see several trends and it will be interesting to see which way it ultimately goes. On one hand, I see the trend where in many careers a college degree isn't enough and in some cases not even a Masters. On the other hand, I see the trend of people not being able to attend college and either heading to the equivalent of a trade school - many health fields offer two year degrees, such as radiology assistants, for instance, or the more traditional "trades". I also see more and more people taking what in other countries is called a gap year (or years) where they work to save up money or even just take time out to figure out what they really want to do so that they don't go into school not knowing which direction to take.

EMMLP said...

I agree, Maya. It is interesting not that a generation ago when a four year degree was an automatic ticket to a job, most college graduates with bachelor's degrees find themselves jobless, whereas those who go for time more practical two year degrees like x-ray technician are actually finding work in their field. I think it signals a real shift in education.