Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Christmas Nostalgia



Here's a poem from Ed that definitely captures the spirit of Christmases past much better than my little blog of yesterday.  Leave it to my younger brother to show me up!

Christmas Nostalgia

Memories pour down
Like December’s rain
Nostalgia fills me

 Until I am carried away
With a flood of emotions
I abstain control

Letting them run free
Like a swollen river
Redefining its course

Intrigued to see
What this intangible force
Can unearth

Possibly death
Decaying bones
Or perhaps treasure
It’s all a risk

Lights cover the Christmas tree
Their twinkling becomes
A hypnotic focus

As I travel back
Like Dicken’s Scrooge
With Ghost of Christmas Past

Music fills the home
45’s on a gray fold out player
Belt out scratchy Christmas songs
Crosby, Ives & Nat King Cole

Brothers, sisters and parents
Bustle about
Wrapping presents
For each family member

Gifts purchased
With pennies saved
From money earned
Throughout the year


It is not the amount spent
That matters
But the price paid
And sacrifice is the sum

So the presents mound up
Their numbers multiplying
Until the floor is covered
With boxes of charity

Ave Maria plays
And I am transported
To midnight Mass

Veiled women
And suited men
Pack the Mission Cathedral

Christmas hymns sung
Latin liturgy choreographed
The heat of human bodies
Makes one sweat

Or is it the ritual of the Eucharist
And the narrow escape
Of Alter Boy conscription

Pungent Incense
Rises from a laver
Swung on gold chain

As the Robed procession
With pomp and circumstance
Exits like royalty
And so do I

My paper route awaits
The Business world
Stops for nothing
Only manna is sacred
So the pedals turn
On my goose necked bike
I deliver the urgent news
Of after Christmas sales

With songs and Liturgy
Fresh in mind
I am alive
Under star filled skies

Like the shepherds
Tending flocks
I hear the angels Chorus
And am filled

With gifts
Of hope
Charity
And transcendence

Time Blurs
Nostalgia fades
I return to Christmas present

The rain still falls
But now from my eyes
I abstain from controlling it


Ed Northen
12/20/02

1 comment:

Maya Northen Augelli said...

That's wonderful!