Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Lent

Ash Wednesday, marking the beginning of Lent, occurred just a couple of weeks ago. Having been raised in a household where the beginning of Lent meant the family saying the rosary together each night and visiting the church to follow the Stations of the Cross, the onset of Lent use to be a real time of reflection for me, and that reflection would often culminate in the writing of a poem.

In recent years, I have been so caught up in the day-to-day busy-ness of life that I often skim past the  beginning of Lent without it even registering  that we are into the Easter season.  Fortunately, Ed is much more attuned than I am.  Yesterday, he sent me a poem he had written that I think does a remarkable job of being on both an observation on the transmutation of language and a reflection on what the season means.

Lengthening

Lent
Means
To lengthen

To unpack
The soul
Which is

Condensed
Confined
So tightly

It remains
Small
Undeveloped

It’s perilous
Unsettling
To loose control

To have paradigms
Upheaved
Like tectonic plates

The Lenten journey
An opportunity
If embraced

To nourish
Gather light  
Permit oneself

To stretch
Elongate
Lengthen

Like a shadow
In the late afternoon
Of a rescinding winter



1 comment:

Maya Northen Augelli said...

This is wonderful! A very good reflection of lent, and what I think it's about at it's core.