Monday, March 16, 2015

Dad Quiz

Meeting up with my brother Pat and his wife Rose in New York last month in New York was a really wonderful occasion for me. Pat and I are fifteen years apart – something that seems a bit strange in today’ smaller families – but because of that, by the time he was in kindergarten, I was already in college.  With a continent between us, it has only been on rare occasions that we had a chance to get together and , often, as for the illness or deaths of our parents, it was not the happiest of circumstances.  Perhaps because I am a bit closer to encountering that scythe-wielding figure myself  that in the last few years it has become important for me to try to fill in some of the gaps in the saga of our family.  I frequently wish that I were able to sit down with Dad or with Mom as she was before she had trouble communicating, and ask them questions about their lives..  There is still much about them that I don’t know or understand.

It has been eighteen years since Dad’s death. Had he lived, he would have been 94 years old this month.  In the spirit of trying to keep some memory of him alive and, perhaps just importantly, passing along a little about him to children and grandchildren who met him long ago, if at all, I’m posting one of my ersatz quizzes .  It is one of those where those who get the most answers wrong my likely benefit the most from having done it.  (For ease, I’ll just use the word “Dad” in the questions.)

1.Dad’s middle name was ______________.
(a)    Edward, (b) Lee, (c) Crocker, (d) Lewis

2. When he was growing up, Dad’s religion was ____________.
               (a) Catholic, (b) Baptist, (c) Episcopal, (d) Seventh Day Adventist

3. Dad played sports on a high school team. What was his sport.  (a) wrestling,
               (b) football,   (c) baseball,  (d) swim team

4.  When Dad was eleven years old, both of his parents died.  How did his mother die.
               (a) heart attack,  (b) scarlet fever,  (c) automobile accident, (d) drowning

5.  After he graduated from high school, Dad joined the Navy.  How long was he in the Navy?
               (b) 5 years, (b) 10 years, (c) 15 years, (d) 20 years

6.  Which of Dad’s sons is named after him. (That is, their middle name is his first name.)
               (a)  Steve, (b) Dave,  (c) Ed, (d) Pat

7. Which of these foods is the only one that Dad did not like to eat.
                (a) tongue,  (b) liver,  (c) pickled pigs feet, (d) mutton

8. Dad always listed his eye color as ___________.
                (a) blue, (b) green, (c) hazel, (d) light brown

9. One of Dad’s favorite sayings was _____________________.
                (a) good things come in small packages
                (b) only the good die young
                (c) if you don’t have anything good to say don’t say
                (d) if its not your ass, its your elbow

10.  Dad always said he couldn’t sing, but when he was younger he did try to learn to play an instrument.
        What was it? (a) guitar,  (b) piano, (c) fiddle, (d) trumpet
              

Answers.
(1)    a,  (2) b, (3) c, (4) d, (5) d, (6) a, (7) d, (8) c, (9) c, (10) a

Let us know how you did. If everyone aced it, I’ll have to post something harder.


5 comments:

Maura said...

Not bad, I got 8 out of 10, although I admit to guessing on a few. I had a feeling that Ed's middle name wasn't Edward:)

EMMLP said...

Your're right, Maura. My brother's name is not Ed Edward. For someone who didn't really know her grandfather, you did really well!

Melissa said...

Maura is still a better test taker then I. 6/10.

A Pilgrim said...



Good Job Maya

I did get all 10 but must admit I had to guess at the musical instrument.

I would think the one most people would miss was the food Dad did not like. Who would have thought he preferred pickled pigs feet over mutton, if you did not know this fact.

EMMLP said...

There's a story behind the mutton. He had nothing but mutton to eat for six months when stationed near Australia. Actually, I like pickles pigs feet too.