Friday, November 13, 2015

What Do You Know About Famous Books?

Even if you don't think of yourself as a literary buff, you probably know more about famous books in literature than you think that you do. Just for fun, here is a little quiz for you to check yourself on.  There are two parts and in each, I give you the first line of a famous novel. Part one is the easiest. Name the book and who wrote it.  The second part is a bit tougher so it is multiple choice for the title, but you still try to name the author.  One point each for title and author with a total of 20 points.

1. “In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit.” __________

2. “Alice was beginning to get very tired sitting on the bank and having nothing to do.” ____________

3. “You don’t know me without you have read a book of The Adventures of Tom Sawyer; but that ain’t no  
    matter.  ___________

4. “Call me Ishmael.” ______________

5. “Mrs. Dalloway said she would buy the flowers herself.” ____________-  

The next five are multiple choice. Don’t forget to name the author.

6. “It was the best of times, it was the worst of times…”
   (a) The Hobbit, (b) Jane Eyre, (c) A Tale of Two Cities, (d) Frankenstein

7. “It was a bright cold day in April and the clocks were striking thirteen.”
   (a) 1984, (b) The Red Badge of Courage, (c) Moby Dick, (d) Ulysses

8. “When he was nearly thirteen, my brother Jem got his arm badly broken at the elbow.”
   (a) The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, (b) To Kill a Mockingbird, (c) The Sound and the Fury,
   (d) Fifty Shades of Grey

9. “Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.”
   (a) The Scarlet Letter, (b) Ulysses, (c) Anna Karenina, (d) Lolita

10.  “Mother died today. Or maybe it was yesterday. I don’t know.”  
   (a) One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest, (b) Beloved, (c) Of Mice and Men (d) The Stranger



Answers.

  1. The Hobbit. J.R.R. Tolkien
  2. Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. Lewis Carroll    
  3. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, Mark Twain     
  4. Moby Dick. Herman Melville  
  5. Mrs. Dalloway. Virginia Woolf  
  6. (c) Charles Dickens
  7. (a) George Orwell
  8. (b) Harper Lee
  9. (c) Leo Tolstoy
  10. (d) Albert Camus

How did you do?
18-20 – You’re a lit major.
15-17 – People consider you well-read.
10-14 – You have a god balance between reading and television.
5-9 – You spend a lot of time with ESPN or Facebook
less than 5 – Do you know who Ann Frank is?                                     

4 comments:

Maura said...

15 - and I was a lit major. I don't know as I have heard of that Virginia Woolf, had no idea about the opening line of The Stranger, And I was drawing a blank on Melville's name. But do I get extra credit for knowing the names of all the authors of the wrong answers in part 2?

EMMLP said...

Maura, I guess the Virginia Woolf one was not as obvious as I thought, even though the title was in the quote. At 15, you may end up with the best score.

A Pilgrim said...

I'm not so well read but I got 16 correct, I am not familiar with the Stranger or Mrs Dallowy although I am vaguely familiar with Virgina Wolf. The fact I did this well surprises me because I I am not very good with names so I often forget an Author even if I remember the story.

EMMLP said...

Ed and Maura, I was impressed that you both got the Tolstoy quote. I thought that was going to be the tough one.