I was delighted that so many of you who took the “The Easiest Family History Quiz Ever” got a perfect score. (Though as Maura pointed out, given available information, question #7 could have had several correct answers.) In view of the fact that so many of you did so well, here is one that is a big more challenging – but not ridiculously so.
1. James Northen’s father was M. C. Northen. What did the M.C. stand for?
(a) Michael Connor, (b) Marcellus Crocker, (c) Martin Chuzzlewick, (d) Melchior Christian.
2. Elvera Northen’s father Victor Wilkins had an unusual middle name. What was it?
(a) Valentine, (b)
Hannibal, (c) Johann, (d) Cleveland.
3. Victor Wilkins’ father, Ed Wilkins, ran a store in
. What did he sell? Kingsley, Iowa
(a) insurance, (b) home goods, (c) real estate, (d) farm implements
4. James Northen’s mother Mattie died when he was eleven years old. How did she die?
(a) heart attach, (b) trampled by a horse, (c) in childbirth, (d) drowning
5. Mattie Northen’s last name before marriage was (a) Wilkins, (b) Lewis, (c) Cook, (d) Northern
6.From the time that the first man in the Northen family came to
Virginia in 1636, most
of the men in the Northen family have made their living by ________________.
(a) fishing and crabbing, (b) raising chickens, (c) tobacco farming, (d) selling moonshine
7. The Wilkins family moved from
South Dakota to California during which historical event?
(a) Civil War reconstruction, (b) World War I, (c) the great depression, (d) World War II
8. Elvera Northen had a sister, Elaine, two years older than her, who died at age 16. What was the cause of her death?
(a) diabetes, (b) typhoid fever, (c) polio, (d) food poisoning
9. When Elvera Northen’s great grandfather Melchior Ryman arrived in the
United States from Switzerland, he Americanized his
first name. What did he call himself?
(a) Melvin, (b) Marcellus, (c) Michael, (d) Mathew
10. Believe it or not, one of Elvera Northen’s grandchildren was named after her and has Elvera for a middle name. Who is it?
(a) Brandi, (b) Lindsey, (c) Maya, (d) Molly
Answers are below. A score of 7 or higher means you have a pretty good handle on Northen family history.